Location: Guatemala (Rural)
Duration: 2012 – present
Partner: HELPS International
Carbon Standard: United Nations Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) (PoA 8480)
The majority of Guatemalan households continue to cook their meals in the traditional way – on a three-stone fire in an indoor pit. These open fires cause respiratory problems and burns, and because they are so inefficient, the high demand for fuel to supply them contributes to deforestation. We are working with HELPS International to use carbon finance to leverage market share of the high-efficiency ONIL cookstoves throughout Guatemala.
- The HELPs International stove program in Guatemala is designed to reach over 350,000 households over the next decade.
- Hundreds of thousands of Guatemalans have already benefited by replacing their inefficient and smoky planchas with an ONIL stove;
- Each ICS eliminates close to 4 tons of CO2 per year.
- The Story of the ONIL Stove
- HELPS International HELPS is a Texas-based NGO committed to assisting the rural population of the developing world through education, healthcare, economic development and home transformation utilizing ONIL products. HELPS International’s first program was in Guatemala in 1984. Today, HELPS also operates in Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, and Mexico, where it partners with CQC.
Winner: Steward Leadership 25
Carbon project developer, C-Quest Capital (CQC) has been included in the Steward Leadership 25 (SL25) list as one of the best initiatives in the Asia-Pacific region for its transformative cookstoves project in Cambodia.
Open Letter: Experts challenge misguided criticism of clean cookstoves funding
Cookstove experts are calling out recent research on ‘Cookstoves Offset Methodologies’ as misguided and threatening to critical funding for clean alternatives to solid fuel stoves
Staff Highlight Series: Simon Borcherdt
At C-Quest Capital, the heart and soul of our success lies in the dedication and passion of our exceptional team members. We are excited to kick off a series of blog posts highlighting the exceptional talent we have in this company to put a spotlight on the remarkable individuals who make our organization thrive.
Mahua Acharya Joins C-Quest Capital as Chief of Staff
C-Quest Capital (CQC), a world-leading carbon finance business dedicated to catalysing an energy transition across Africa and South Asia to mitigate climate change, is delighted to announce the appointment of Mahua Acharya as Chief of Staff.
Press Release: Shell and C-Quest Capital agree funding for an Efficient Lighting Project in India
Carbon project developer, C-Quest Capital (CQC) and Shell International Eastern Trading Company (Shell) have agreed the financing for one of the largest household efficiency projects globally. The project, dubbed ‘Project Shine I’, will replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs (ICLs) with energy efficient LED globes across disadvantaged rural, and peri-urban regions of India.
Stories of Impact: Behind Tsotso Stove, there’s a story to tell
Local Poet Sylvia Muzarrabani composed a poem titled "Behind Tsotso Stove, there's a story to tell". The poem encapsulates her feelings of how CQC's TLC Rocket Stove has transformed the lives of the people in her village.